The HEOP Summer Academic Institute is designed to prepare
pre-freshmen for college life, initiate the process of building
academic skills, and orient students to the support services
available through HEOP and Mount Saint Mary College.
A summer program is mandated by the State Education Department
for all HEOP programs, as these summer courses pave the way for
greater intellectual and cultural confidence and success as
students enter their first term of college.
The MSMC HEOP Summer Academic Institute is a highly structured
5-week residential program that offers pre-freshmen an opportunity
to earn up to 4 college credits. Students are enrolled in the
following college courses: College Writing, Intro to Computer
Science, Critical Reading, Math, Liberal Arts Seminar, and a
Summer Academic Program Goals and Philosophy
- Preparing students for and familiarizing them with academic
expectations and procedures befitting a private liberal arts
- Broadening their academic experiences and preparing them for
participation in the process of becoming liberally educated.
- Developing leadership skills.
- Emphasizing social justice, civic engagement, and social
- Helping students develop time-management skills.
- Introducing students to cultural and social resources that they
can benefit from and contribute to in the MSMC community.
- Addressing personal anxieties through counseling and
introductions to MSMC students, administrators, and faculty.
- Acquainting students with the academic and personal services
available through the HEOP office.
- Raising students’ expectations for themselves as first-year
For more information, please email HEOP@msmc.edu or call