International Admissions


Is the Mount a Catholic college?

The Mount maintains Judeo-Christian traditions based upon the teachings of the Dominican Sisters. The Office of Campus Ministry welcomes and serves all who are interested in spiritual development regardless of background.

How many students attend the Mount? How many live on campus?

Mount Saint Mary College’s total enrollment is approximately 2,500 students. Of this number, 1,700 are undergraduate students and about 1,000 reside on campus.

What is your tuition, room and board for 2017-2018?

Tuition for full-time traditional students (freshmen and transfers) = $28,890 (annually)
Room and Board  = $14,528 (regular room)
Total = $43,418
Tuition costs are typically set in December/January for the following school year.

What’s your student-to-faculty ratio? What is the average class size at the Mount? 

The student-to-faculty ratio is 14 students to 1 faculty member, and the average class size is 20 students.

Where can I study abroad?

Mount Saint Mary College offers study abroad opportunities in Dublin, Ireland; Paris, France; Oxford, England; Florence, Italy; and Segovia, Spain. We partner with other colleges and universities to customize an abroad experience for our students in other countries. These opportunities generally include classes in a variety of content areas and they are all offered during the summer semesters.

How does the Mount help students look for jobs after graduation?

Mount Saint Mary College offers dynamic internship opportunities and the well-connected services of the on-campus Career Center. The Career Center services are also available to Mount students after graduation.

How do I apply for an internship?

Students can visit the Career Center and work with a career counselor to find the right internship opportunity for their major and their interests. Students can start internships in the summer after their freshman year, but should start the process early in the fall semester as these experiences are competitive.

Do you have an honors program?

Yes, Mount Saint Mary College offers an honors program with credit, comprising academic, cultural, and social activities. While designed for traditional undergraduate students, the program is open to non-traditional students as well. Mount Saint Mary College also has 14 honor societies on campus. 

Do you have health services on campus?

Our on-campus Health and Wellness Center has a clinic with registered nurses, nurse practitioners, and two consulting physicians. The clinic provides acute health care while the student is on campus. The office provides information on current health issues and refers students to appropriate off-campus medical facilities. The college is within four blocks of St. Luke’s Cornwall Hospital.

What services does the Office of Services for Student with Disabilities (SSD) offer?

The Counseling and Services for Students with Disabilities coordinates the college’s academic and non-academic campus accommodations, assists students in conveying needs to faculty and staff, and works collaboratively with other departments to resolve any concerns related to disability needs.

Is your school a commuter school?

Typically 80% - 85% of freshmen choose to live on campus each year.  There are many activities and events happening in and around campus for students to participate in.  If you choose to commute to school, you are able to fully participate in these activities as well.

Can freshmen have cars?

First-year students are not permitted to have cars on campus. There is a free shuttle service provided by Student Affairs that takes students to the local mall and other shopping areas, the train station, area restaurants, grocery stores, the movies and other places around town.

Is housing guaranteed for all four years?

Yes, housing is guaranteed for all four years.

Where do freshmen live? What about upper-classmen?

All first-year students reside in one of our two freshman residence halls: Sakac Hall and Guzman Hall. The upperclassmen live in the College Courts or the Dominican Center.

What amenities are available in the residence halls?

Each freshman suite includes one or two bathrooms, a refrigerator/small freezer, a microwave, cable access, one phone jack per person, and one closet per person (when space permits.) Both residence halls feature a full kitchen, common area lounge on each floor, fitness room, movie lounge, laundry room, and computer room.

Can I request a roommate? What about a specific residence hall?

We can only guarantee roommates if the request is mutual on the housing application. Unfortunately, we can’t accommodate suitemate or residence hall requests.

What is there to do in the Hudson Valley?

The Hudson Valley is home to numerous entertainment venues, professional sports teams, shopping malls, and outlets. It offers artistic venues and museums as well as some of the most diverse restaurants on the east coast and lots of outdoor activities. More about the Hudson Valley...

Are there different student events on campus? Like what?

We offer a variety of activities including films, trips, plays, intramurals, dinner dances, seasonal activities and concerts. We also have more than 20 clubs and organizations for students to become involved with. On top of student activities, the Hudson Valley has so much to offer. Student often enjoy shopping, outdoor activities, dining, cultural activities and our proximity to New York City.

What sports do you have? What division?

We are a Division III College with 21 men’s and women’s teams, the newest being men's golf and women's cheerleading. We are in the Skyline Conference.

Can I receive scholarship/grant money for playing a sport?

Since we are a Division III school, we are not permitted to offer any athletic scholarships.

What if I don’t want to play competitively?

We do have several intramural teams for students who don’t want to play on a competitive team. We have sports like soccer and basketball, but we also have fun sports like Ultimate Frisbee and Dodgeball.

What is your average SAT/GPA?

The average SAT score for our incoming freshmen is a 1012, not including writing. The average GPA is an 87 (or a 3.0).

Do you accept ACT? What score do I need?

We accept both the SAT and ACT exams. The equivalent composite ACT score to our average SAT score is a 21. If you take both exams, send us all your scores and we’ll review the highest score.

What is required for an application to be reviewed?

In order to review your application, we’ll need your official high school transcript, official SAT or ACT scores, an essay of 250 words about a life-changing event, and at least one recommendation. Once we have all your application pieces, the decision is generally made within a few weeks.

Do you charge an application fee?

The nonrefundable application fee is $45. However, the fee is waived if you apply online (both on the Mount Application and the Common Application).

What is the deadline for admission?

Currently, we have a rolling admissions policy, so we are able to review applications throughout the summer. However, certain programs fill more quickly and have only a specified number of seats available each year (e.g., nursing). For this reason, we highly encourage you apply by February 1.

Do I need a formal interview?

Formal interviews are not required. However, we may request an interview in order to obtain more information on your application.

What is the HEOP Program and how do I qualify?

HEOP is the Higher Education Opportunity Program that is funded by New York State and MSMC. The program is designed to support both academically and financially disadvantaged NYS residents. This program is a highly competitive program for high school students who meet the New York State income eligibility guidelines. Specific questions can be directed to the HEOP Office at 845-569-3178.

How much is the deposit, and is it refundable?

The deposit is $450 for resident students and $150 for commuter students, and is refundable up to May 1.

When is the admissions deposit due date?

May 1.

What are the placement exams? Do I need to take them?

Some students are required to take placements exams in the spring prior to the start of their freshman year. The placement exams are to determine that students are ready to begin taking college-level courses. For more information, contact your admissions counselor.

Do you offer work / study?

Yes, when you complete your FAFSA form, you are automatically reviewed for work-study. This program provides employment opportunities on and off campus to students who demonstrate financial need. Work is limited to 10 hours per week while classes are in session.

Is there a mandatory orientation program? When is it?

Yes, summer orientation is mandatory. We offer two different sessions in the month of July. During orientation, students register for classes, receive their ID card and course schedules and participate in many different activities over the two-day session.