Reports To: Access Services Librarian
Work Schedule: 35 hrs/wk, Sun-Thurs, 4:30 p.m.-12:00 a.m.,
during Fall and Spring semesters. Hours flex to 6:30
p.m.-2:00 a.m. during mid-term and final exam periods. Semester
break and summer hours adjusted according to library schedule.
1. Responsible for all circulation activities during library’s
evening and late hours; supervises and trains evening work-study
students. Enforces policies with library users.
2. Closes library, ensuring that library users are out of the
building and all equipment is shut down (as instructed) at closing.
Maintains up-to-date closing procedures.
3. Responsible for shelving, shelf-reading, and collection
shifting. Assigns these tasks to student workers as needed.
Identifies library materials in need of repair.
4. Assists library users with quick questions, helps them locate
materials, and provides other general library services. Refers
questions to reference librarian as appropriate. Assists users with
hardware and software matters as appropriate and understands when
to contact IT.
5. Monitors building conditions; reports urgent problems to
security, other issues to director’s secretary.
6. Exercises independent judgment and makes sound decisions
without the benefit of other staff in the building at night.
7. Communicates closely with other library staff, especially in
Access Services, to keep them apprised of nighttime events, as
warranted. Keeps abreast of library events and activities.
8. Assists with set-up and break-down of library events
happening at night.
9. Manages refreshments for extended hours periods – ordering
and maintaining supplies, preparing food and beverages, cleaning
up, and reporting information as needed.
1. Serves as back-up for course reserves.
2. Serves as back-up for Astra and other room reservation
3. Serves as back-up for book processing.
4. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Associates Degree required; BA/BS preferred.
Required Skills: Excellent oral, written and interpersonal
communication skills; proven ability to supervise; proven
management skills; strong customer service philosophy; congenial
and courteous demeanor; professional appearance; commitment to
providing quality library service. Highly dependable and
self-motivated. Ability to exercise good judgment and work
independently. Strong computer skills, including proficiency with
Microsoft Office applications. Ability to troubleshoot minor
software and hardware problems.
Preferred: Working knowledge of an integrated library system
(preferably Sierra) preferred; previous library work experience
Apply for this position