What time is the Employment Fair?
The Employment Fair will be held in the Kaplan Athletic Center
from 1-4 pm on Wednesday, April 6, 2016.
How do I create a resume?
Each student should bring many copies of his/her professional
resume, printed on bond paper, to the Employment Fair. The Career
Center will provide paper and make copies of the resume no later
than two days in advance of the Employment Fair.
To write a professional resume, students may:
- Attend a resume-writing workshop; dates are on our
- Use the Career Center
resume-writing guide for sample resumes for internships, as
well as graduating seniors and alumni.
- Schedule an appointment with a Career Center staff member to
review a draft of a resume.
- Meet with a Career Center staff member during walk-in hours:
Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 1-3 pm and Tuesday from
Please do not wait until the last minute! We are better able to
serve you if you work with us weeks in advance of the fair.
What should I bring to an employment fair?
- Bring many copies of your professional resume, printed on bond
- Carry a pen and pad to make notes, as you'll meet a lot of
employers and taking notes will help you remember to whom you spoke
and what was said.
- Bring hard copy samples of your work, such as writing,
graphics, photos, etc., because the job may involve utilizing these
What should I do to prepare for the Employment Fair?
Students should prepare for the Employment Fair using the
following check list:
- Create a professional resume, have it edited, and print many
copies on bond paper.
- Purchase professional clothing. A suit is preferred, but dress
slacks and a coordinating jacket are acceptable.
- Research the companies and organizations that will be
- Practice a firm handshake.
- Attend an "Interviewing Strategies" workshop. The schedule can
be found on the
Career Center calendar.
- Visit the Career Center during their resume walk-in hours from
1-3 pm, Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday or from 4:30-6:30 on
- Take advantage of workshops offered by the Career Center. Many
offer useful tips and suggestions for making a good first
What do I wear to the Employment Fair?
Students should dress professionally. Ideas for professional
dress may be found using the Career Center
interviewing tips page.
What should I do during the Employment Fair?
Attending the Employment Fair is a great opportunity to meet
potential future employers, make networking connections, and to
learn more about opportunities in your field. The Employment Fair
is your first interview, so be sure to make a good first
- Introduce yourself to employers with a firm handshake and good
- Keep an open mind. Don't limit yourself by eliminating
employers based on what the organization does as a whole. Consider
that a hospital might have a marketing position in addition to a
- Leave your resume with the employer if there is a possibility
of employment or at the employer's request.
- Collect a business card from employers with whom you speak.
These will prove useful in networking with the employer at a later
- Take notes. You will meet a lot of employers and it will be
difficult to remember later that night which employer told you to
call next week and which employer said they will call you!
Who will be at the Employment Fair?
Employers from both profit and nonprofit organizations will be
present at the Employment Fair. Employers will be hiring for
full-time permanent work, part-time employment, and
What should I do following the Employment Fair?
After the Employment Fair, send thank you notes to the employers
to whom you spoke. Thank them for their time, and let them know
that you are interested in working for them, learning more about
the company, or interviewing with them.