Associate Professor of Biology
Doctor of Philosophy, University of Rochester
Master of Science, University of Rochester
Bachelor of Science, SUNY Geneseo
Office: Aquinas Hall, Room 250-F
Office Hours: T/Th Noon-2 pm
BIO 2020 Microbiology
BIO L202 Microbiology - Lab
Professor Moran graduated from SUNY Geneseo with a bachelor of science in biochemistry in 1995. He earned a PhD in microbiology and immunology from the University of Rochester, NY in 2002. He then completed a postdoctoral fellowship with the SPIRE Program at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, which included a one-year appointment as visiting assistant professor of biology at UNC-Pembroke.
Professor Moran began his career at Mount Saint Mary College as an assistant professor of biology in 2008. He currently teaches courses in microbiology, genetics and immunology, and his research interests include cancer immunotherapy and other cancer therapies utilizing phytochemical agents. He also studies host-microbe interactions in a mouse model of human Crohn’s disease.
(* denotes co-1st authorship, # denotes undergraduate author)
1. Moran, J. P., Walter, J., Tonkonogy, S. L., Tannock, G. W. and Sartor, R. B. Bifidobacterium animalis causes extensive duodenitis and mild colonic inflammation in monoassociated interleukin-10 knockout mice. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2009 Jul;15(7):1022-31.
2. Lugade, A. A.., Sorensen, E. W., Gerber, S. A., Moran, J. P., Frelinger, J. G., Lord, E. M. Radiation induced IFN-γ production within the tumor microenvironment influences anti-tumor immunity. Journal of Immunology. 2008 Mar 1;180(5):3132-9
3. Lugade, A. A.*, Moran, J. P.*, Gerber, S. A., Rose, R. C., Frelinger, J. G., Lord, E. M. Local radiation therapy of B16 melanoma tumors increases the generation of tumor antigen-specific effector cells that traffic to the tumor. Journal of Immunology. 2005 Jun 15;174(12):7516-23. *Co-1st authors
4. Gerber, S. A., Turner, M. J., Lugade, A. A., Moran, J. P., Frelinger, J. G., Lord, E. M. Characterization of a lymph node within the mouse prostate: detailed analysis using whole mount histology. Prostate. 2005 May 1;63(2):105-16.
5. Moran, J. P., Gerber, S. A., Martin, C.#, Frelinger, J. G., Lord, E.M. Transfection of the genes for interleukin-12 into the K1735 melanoma and the EMT6 mammary sarcoma murine cell lines reveals distinct mechanisms of anti-tumor activity. International Journal of Cancer. 106(5): 690-698, 2003.
6. Gerber, S. A., Moran, J. P., Frelinger, J. G., Frelinger, J. A., Fenton, B. F. and Lord, E. M. Mechanism of IL-12 mediated alterations in tumour blood vessel morphology: analysis using whole-tissue mounts. British Journal of Cancer. 88(9):1453-61, 2003.
7. Lee, J.*, Moran, J. P.*, Keng, P. C., Fenton, B. M., Koch, C. J., Lord, E. M. Alteration of tumor response to radiation by interleukin-2 gene transfer. British Journal of Cancer, 82(4):937-944, 2000. *Co-1st authors
8. Lord, E. M., Yeh, K-Y., Moran, J. P., Storozynsky, E., Frelinger, J. G. IL-3 mediated enhancement of particulate antigen presentation by macrophages. J. Immunotherapy, 21(3): 205-210, 1998.