Bachelor of Science in Business Management and Administration *
Concentration in Sports Management
The Sports Management concentration within the Business major has become an increasingly popular course of undergraduate studies. Businesses in the sports industry are placing greater emphasis on recruiting and hiring college graduates with academic backgrounds in Sports Management, particularly those with an accompanying business background. This concentration allows students to develop a better understanding of the nature of sports as an industry and a business.
Sports Management at the Mount
The wide range of sports-related business in the Hudson Valley region will provide opportunities to introduce students to the industry, both in and outside the classroom. They offer opportunities for research projects, class studies, and internships.
The goal of the business program at the Mount is to provide pre-professional training in business within the context of a comprehensive liberal arts education. This concentration adds four learning objectives:
- Students will understand the nature of employment and career opportunities in the sports industry.
- Students will be able to identify the ways in which management functions and operations are organized in the industry.
- Students will be able to apply concepts of marketing to problems and demands of the sports industry.
- Students will be able to apply concepts of accounting, finance, and economics in the context of the industry.
Examples of internships Mount Sports Management students have participated in:
- Hudson Valley Renegades
- Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment
- Steiner Sports
- NY Islanders
- Extra Innings
- Army West Point
- NY Lizards
- Rockland Boulders
- MSMC Athletics
- All Sport Health & Fitness
- Matchpoint Sports
- Essential Fitness
- Saugerties Stallions
- Valley Central School District
- Town of Newburgh Recreation Department
Students are required to obtain 27 credits in Business, 21 credits in Business-related fields, 39 credits in General Education, and 33 credits in liberal arts electives. In addition to meeting the criteria for major in Accounting or Business, students must complete 15 credit hours of their 48 major-requirement in five sports management courses.
- Introduction to Sports Management
- Sports Facility Management
- Financial and Economic Analysis in Sport
- Applied Marketing Management in Sport
- Business Internship (Sport Management Setting)
The School of Business at Mount Saint Mary College has received specialized accreditation for its business programs through the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE) located at 11374 Strang Line Road in Lenexa, Kansas, USA. The business programs in the following degrees at the listed locations are accredited by the IACBE:
- Master of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting/Master of Business Administration (5 year)
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Business Management and Administration with concentrations in: Finance, Marketing, Sports Management
Learn more about the College's accreditation, or visit IACBE.org