Bachelor of Science in Business Management and Administration or Bachelor of Science in Accounting
Concentration in Sports Management
So you want to make a career out of sports. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't pursue your passion! The increasingly-popular field of Sports Management allows you to combine your passion for sports and athletics with the operational and management experience of Business.
Why study Sports Management at the Mount?
The fact that the Sports Management concentration is within the study of Accounting or Business gives you a competitive advantage in the field. Businesses in the sports industry are placing greater emphasis on recruiting and hiring college graduates with academic backgrounds in Sports Management, particularly those with an accompanying business background. This concentration allows students to develop a better understanding of the nature of sports as an industry and a business.
Additionally, the wide range of sports-related business in the Hudson Valley region makes it the perfect region to introduce students to the industry, providing numerous opportunities for real world experience and sharing both inside and outside of the classroom.
The School of Business at Mount Saint Mary College has received specialized accreditation for its business programs through the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE) located at 11374 Strang Line Road in Lenexa, Kansas, USA. The business programs in the following degrees at the listed locations are accredited by the IACBE:
- Master of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting/Master of Business Administration (5 year)
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Business Management and Administration with concentrations in: Finance, Marketing, Sports Management
Learn more about the College's accreditation, or visit IACBE.org
What to expect as a Sports Management student at the Mount
The goal of the business program at the Mount is to provide pre-professional training in business within the context of a comprehensive liberal arts education. At the conclusion of this program, our goal is that you will be able to
- Understand the nature of employment and career opportunities in the sports industry
- Identify the ways in which management functions and operations are organized in the industry
- Apply concepts of marketing to problems and demands of the sports industry
- Apply concepts of accounting, finance, and economics in the context of the industry
You'll do that by taking a variety of courses in Business and Sports Management, including Sports Marketing, Sports Facilities Management, and Financial & Economic Analysis in Sport. As an Accounting or Business major with a concentration in Sports Management, you'll take 15 credits (5 classes) in Sports Management in addition to your other accounting or business coursework.
Your learning won't just take place in the classroom, however: You'll get behind-the-scenes tours of the operations of the Yankee Stadium, the Hudson Valley Renegades, and Citi Field and sit in on panels of those who work in the sports management industry.
>> Learn more about daily life as a Mount Business major!
Be prepared for your future
Part of declaring a Sports Management concentration involves participating in a sports-related internship to augment your studies. Past Sports Management students have interned at organizations such as the Hudson Valley Renegades, NY Islanders, Army West Point, All Sport Health & Fitness, NY Lizards, and Steiner Sports to further grow their skills.
After graduation, your Mount Business and Sports Management studies will have preapred you for a variety of management positions within the athletics field. Graduates of the 5-year BS/MBA program are additionally qualified for leadership positions in these organizations.
Here's how some of our alumni are using their degrees:
- Jake Kosack '18, Field Producer/Reporter for TMZ and Founder of Get Better Motivation
- Gina Welliver '18, Assisant Sports Information Director at Nassau Community College
- Tyler Mannix '19, Digital Marketing Coordinator for HAI Group
Take the next step
Ready to join the Mount family? Take your next step!