Students can apply for HEOP at MSMC by following these steps:
1. Apply to Mount Saint Mary College via the MSMC Application or Common App. Select the HEOP box on the application to be considered for HEOP admission.
2. Submit the HEOP Supplemental Application. Once you submit the MSMC or Common App, you will receive an email with a link to a supplemental application for HEOP applicants. This must be submitted within 10 days of receiving it.
3. Register early in your senior year for the SAT or ACT test. Request to have your scores sent to the Office of Admissions at Mount Saint Mary College in Newburgh, NY.
4. Complete the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Make sure the Mount’s school code (002778) appears on the application. HEOP also requests that you send a copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR) to the HEOP Office.
5. Send all required materials to the HEOP Office. Items can be submitted via fax to 845-569-3135, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed via the U.S. Postal Service to Mount Saint Mary College HEOP, 330 Powell Avenue, Newburgh, NY 12550. To ensure confidentiality, all financial documentation should either be faxed or submitted online at the following link: HEOP Financial Document Submissions
The required items for the HEOP Application are:
- MSMC Application or Common App
- HEOP Supplemental Application
- High School transcript / GED Test Scores
- SAT or ACT Scores
- Personal Essay on one of these three topics:
1. Describe a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you and what did you learn from the experience?
2. Discuss an accomplishment or event that sparked a period of growth and understanding of yourself or others.
3. Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? Where do you turn to when you want to learn more?
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- Completed FAFSA and Student Aid Report (SAR)
- Financial documentation including federal and state tax returns for the 2017 calendar year
- Financial documentation on any other income your family received including social security, public assistance, and any other benefits for the 2017 calendar year. See the full chart below.
(View larger chart)
If you are a transfer student previously enrolled in another Arthur O. Eve HEOP Program, or in another opportunity program such as EOP, SEEK, or College Discovery, you are eligible for HEOP at the Mount. If you were enrolled at another institution that did not offer any of these opportunity programs, please contact the HEOP Office at 845-569-3178 or email@example.com.
The Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) is a comprehensive academic support program for New York State residents and first-time college students. An HEOP candidate must be both academically and economically eligible. The academic guidelines are set by the Mount Saint Mary College Admissions Office and HEOP Office. The economic guidelines are set by the New York State Board of Regents for all opportunity programs statewide. Click here for full eligibility requirements, including economic guidelines.
All applicants should be aware that admission into HEOP at Mount Saint Mary College is competitive, and that only a limited number of spaces are available each year.
The deadline for all HEOP required materials is January 17, 2019. We ask that you complete your application as early as possible. Late applications will not be accepted.