October 11, 2018
NEWBURGH, N.Y. -
Jeremy Smith ’06, director of Automation Engineering at Travelers Insurance and owner of SKYWIREme; and Kathleen O’Keefe, Director of the Mount’s Career Center (both left), mentor a pair of Mount seniors during the college’s recent Real World Connections event.
With graduation only months away, Mount Saint Mary College seniors got a jump on their career hunt at the recent Real World Connections: Corporate America networking event.
Hosted by the college’s Career Center, the Real World Connections series unites seniors of all majors with professionals in a variety of fields, including high profile recruiters and successful alumni. The reception-like gatherings provide a low pressure environment for students to mingle with the professionals and afford personal connections that larger job fairs often can’t.
In total, 15 professionals, including successful Mount alumni, networked with the forward-thinking students.
Jeremy Smith ’06, director of Automation Engineering at Traveler’s Insurance and owner of SKYWIREme, enjoyed returning to his alma mater to help mentor the next generation of graduates.
Smith credits the Career Center with helping to land him an internship at a branch of Traveler’s Insurance in Connecticut. By the time he graduated from the Mount, he had already received a full-time job offer. He’s been building a career with the company ever since.
And with the aid of their Mount education, Smith and his wife, Lizette Smith ’07, recently founded SKYWIREme, a mass electronic messaging company.
Smith offered some important advice: Always act with dignity and grace, even outside of professional situations. One never knows who they might meet and network with during their day to day life, he noted.
In addition to Smith, Mount students benefited from the expertise of:
- Noelle DeLuca ’09, senior associate, KPMG, LLP.
- Steve Fogarty, managing director, Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Katherine Morey ’15, Pepsico
- Ryan Reeves ’09, director of selection, Northwestern Mutual
- Susan Dean, director of operations, McKesson Pharmaceutical
- Michelle O’Reilly, partner, PKF O’Connor Davies, LLP.
- Valerie Torres, PKF O’Connor Davies, LLP.
- Coleen Harris, PKF O’Connor Davies, LLP.
- Tom Urtz, VP of operations, ShopRite Supermarkets
- Kevin Gould ’94, systems software test engineer, IBM
- Angela Brisotti ’16, assurance associate, PricewaterhouseCooper (PwC)
- Christina McCoy, VP/regional manager, M&T Bank
- Jason Flores ’12, engineer, P&W Advanced Coating Technologies
- Matthew Bettina, Central Hudson
The Mount’s Career Center prepares students for varied career opportunities in the Hudson Valley, New York City, the Capital Region, and beyond.