Students are selected for the Student Transition and Engagement Program (STEP) by the STEP Selection Committee during the application review process.
Students admitted to Mount Saint Mary College through STEP may not necessarily meet the traditional academic profile of an MSMC student, but after a holistic review of their admission materials, have demonstrated their ability to be a successful college student through characteristics such as:
As a STEP student, you will spend your first semester working individually with your Academic Coach, as well as with the entire STEP class, on skills that will help make you a successful college student such as:
- Time management
- Study skills
- Determining your learning style
- Staying organized
- Getting involved on campus
- Learning to balance new academic expectations
- STEP students are required to meet with their Academic Coach and the STEP cohort on a regular basis.
- Students must attend the STEP Summer Bridge Program prior to the start of their first fall semester.
- Students will be limited to 12 credits their first semester in order to assist in fully acclimating to college life
- Students who are not in good academic standing after their first semester at the College will be required to continue to meet with their academic coach/advisor for their second semester.
“When I was meeting with my coach once a week, it was really helpful to know that at least once a week, I had a place to air my thoughts and concerns.”
– Mollie Jamieson