Financial Aid For

Adult and Graduate Students

Paying for your education isn’t easy, but we’re here to help make the Mount an affordable option for you and your family. Earning an advanced degree is a worthwhile investment that will benefit you for many years to come, and can be made affordable through the use of federal, state, and private grants, scholarships, and loans. The Mount wants to help put your educational goals within reach.

It all starts with the FAFSA

The first step for adult bachelor's degree or master's degree candidates is to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Our Title IV School Code is 002778. We recommend completing the FAFSA at least four weeks prior to your anticipated start date.

What kind of federal aid am I eligible for as an adult?

Federal student aid generally does not have any age restrictions. The main exception is the Coverdell Education Savings Account, which requires the funds to be used by the time the beneficiary reaches age 30. Section 529 college savings plans, on the other hand, do not have any such age restrictions.

There are, however, restrictions based on educational background. A student who has already earned a bachelor's or first professional degree is no longer considered an undergraduate student and is ineligible for the Pell Grant. (There is an exception for post-baccalaureate programs necessary for teacher certification or licensing credentials as required by the state.) However, such a student is still eligible for federal education loans and work-study.

The School of Nursing also applies for federal HRSA Nurse-Traineeships on an annual basis. These monies, if awarded, are given to eligible full-time graduate nursing students (9 credits a semester) or students within 12 months of graduation.

What kind of New York State aid am I eligible for as an adult?

We recommend that all New York State residents apply for aid at the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation website. The Mount Saint Mary College school code for TAP is 5725.

Additional sources of financial aid

The Federal Stafford Loan Program, Federal TEACH Grant, NYS Tuition Assistance Program, NYS Senator Patricia K. McGee Nursing Faculty Scholarship, NYS Math & Science Teaching Incentive Scholarship, and Veterans Tuition Awards are just a few examples of funding opportunities for graduate study.

Adult and graduate students can also take advantage of the Mount's interest-free Monthly Payment Plan.

Mount alumni who earned a bachelor's degree from the Mount (with the exception of five-year bachelor's/master's degree students on scholarship) are also eligible for a 25% reduction on graduate tuition. Contact the Office of Graduate and Adult Degree Completion programs for more information.

Make an appointment

If you need additional information, you can speak with a Financial Aid representative. Call 845-569-3700 or email to set up a personalized appointment.



Aquinas Hall, Room 104
845-569-3700 - Main Line

845-569-3302 - Fax Number