So You Want To Be A Writing Center Tutor?
Tuesday| March 20, 2018 | 4:00-5:00 pm | Aquinas Hall 163
Come learn what being a Writing Center Tutor is all about! Current and former tutors will share their experiences working in the Writing Center, showcasing their work, and answering audience questions. If attending this session piques your interest in being a tutor, the deadline to apply is Tuesday, March 20th!
3rd Annual MSMC Writing Contest
Monday | April 16, 2018 | 11:59 pm
The MSMC Writing Center is now accepting submissions for its first annual Writing Contest. Students of any academic standing are eligible to enter. Essays must have been written for a MSMC course during the 2017-2018 academic year and should be primarily research-driven. Two $200 prizes will be awarded: one for the winning graduate-level entry and one for the winning undergraduate-level entry. A $50 Honorable Mention will also be awarded for each category. Prizes will be awarded in the form of a Visa gift card.
Entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. on April 16, 2018 via www.turnitin.com. Late entries will not be considered.
Login to Turnitin.com:
Class ID Number: 8521129
- Essays should be between 7-15 pages of text (excluding cover page, bibliography, abstract, footnotes, charts, graphs, appendices, etc.)
- Essays should be saved in (.pdf) format
- (.pdf) file should have the same title as the essay
- No identifying information (name, address, student identification number, etc.) should be included anywhere in the (.pdf) document
- Papers should be formatted using the corresponding style guide for the discipline in which they were written (e.g. APA for social sciences, MLA for English/Literature, AP for journalism)
- Group papers are not eligible for the contest
- By entering the essay contest, students agree to the terms of academic honesty and affirm that all work is their own
Entries will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Originality and soundness of argument (25%)
- Integration of research (25%)
- Organization (25%)
- Professionalism (25%)
Writing Contest Winners - Reading & Brunch
Thursday | May 3, 2018 | 10:00-11:30 pm | Dominican Center Cafe (DC 110)
Come join us in the Dominican Center Cafe as winners from the 3rd Annual MSMC Writing Contest are announced. The brief ceremony will include the winners reading from their essays. A light brunch will follow.