As the students move from childhood to adolescence, we will be encouraging the students to find their voices as writers. What is Writer's Workshop?
- Mini-Lesson (5-15 minutes): This is where a short lesson is taught that focuses on a single topic that will help students with their writing. This is usually 2-3 times per week.
-Status of the Class (5 minutes): Finding out where each student is in the writing process.
-Writing Time (20-30 minutes): Students write! I will conference with individual students or small groups during this time.
-Sharing (5-10 minutes): Writers will share what they have written. The class will offer positive feedback.
Assured Writing pieces will include:
- personal narratives- Summer Event
- Spooky Scary Story
- literary response (Esperanza Rising)
- biographies (religious saints)
- writing like a scientist (ecosystems/biomes)
- compare and contrast
- persuasive essay
READER'S WORKSHOP SKILLS: Evidence based terms, "I Wonder" strategy, making inferences, using Post-Its, steps in a process, setting, character traits, main idea and supporting details, compare and contrast, determining theme of a story, and identifying text structures in both fiction and non-fiction passages.
We use the Common Core Modules:
Universal Declaration of Human Rights