Grades 7 and 8 Math
About the Teacher:
My 3rd year at Bishop Dunn Memorial School begins as I move from the elementary grades to the Middle School. I am excited to welcome you into my classroom where you will step into a world full of mathematical concepts, positivity and growth.
My experiences and passions lie in a wide range of fields including mathematics, social sciences, Applied Behavior Analysis, and teaching in the general education and special education setting.
"Tell me and I'll forget. Teach me and I may remember. Involve me, and I will learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
The Middle School Math Curriculum has been created in accordance with the NYS Common Core Mathematics Standards as well as the NYS Next Generation Mathematics Standards. Topics included are Ratios and Proportional Relationships, The Number System, Expressions, Equations, and Inequalities, Geometry, Statistics, and Probability.
- one 3 ring binder with loose leaf and three dividers
- TI-84 plus graphing calculator- Grade 8 This is optional, but strongly recommended. There is a free graphing calculator on desmos.com. However, calculator functions on the TI-84 Plus are needed for the course and Regents Exam.
- Scientific calculator- grade 7
- This course is run under the pacing of eMATHinstruction, Common Core Algebra 1 and N-Gen Math 7. Classwork and homework will be provided each day.
NYS Algebra 1 Regents
- Students will be taking the NYS Algebra 1 Regents Exam in June 2023. This exam will count for Algebra 1 Regents credit in high school as well as the final exam grade.
- Students are able to opt-out of the Regents exam with parent consent, but this is a conversation to be had with me if you are considering doing so.
- The regular math course runs along with a Regents Prep period that is every other day. This class will provide extra time for the students to work on specific regents test-taking skills, as well as specific, individualized content area work.
Practicing and reviewing math skills at home is a priority in this course in order to help strengthen your abilities and retain the material we learn in class. Homework will be assigned and graded each day based on effort and completion. The homework assignment will always correlate to the day's lesson.