Assistant Professor of Education
Dr. Patterson's educational background encompasses a mixture of social studies/English curricular development and pedagogy, instructional technology, and pre-service/in-service teacher preparation. Prior to accepting a professorship at the Mount, he taught secondary social studies, English, film, and debate classes for 15 years in rural, suburban, and urban settings throughout the state of Florida.
Doctor of Philosophy, University of South Florida
Master of Science, Florida State University
Bachelor of Arts, Florida State University
ED 3120 – Social Studies Methods for Elementary Educators
ED 5122/5231 – Literacy in the Childhood / Adolescent Content Areas
ED 5248 – Curriculum and Assessment in Secondary Social Studies
ED 5700 – Teaching with Technology
Specialization/Areas of Research Interest
Digital game-based learning
Primary source investigation/place-based education
Media literacy/digital citizenship
Memberships and Professional Associations
National Council for the Social Studies
National Council for Geographic Education
International Society for the Social Studies
Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education
American Association for Teaching and Curriculum
Kappa Delta Pi
- Patterson, J. M. Commandeering Commercial, Off-the-Shelf (COTS) Video Games to Stage Student– Centered Social Studies Discussion. Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Patterson, J. M. (March 2021). Evoking the five themes of geography through Grand Theft Auto V. Florida Council for History Education's 'In Context' E–Journal, 4(1), 21.
- Patterson, J. M. (November 2017). Prejudice in paradise: Anti-Semitism in South Florida. Florida Council for History Education's 'In Context' E–Journal, 1(1), 12.
- Patterson, J. M. (Winter/Spring 2017). Hidden costs of technology: Teaching labor rights from a global perspective. Florida Council for the Social Studies' 'Trends & Issues' E–Journal, 8(1), 35-37
- Patterson, J. M., & Ledford, A. (February 2016). Virtual simulations in the social studies: Teaching and assessment strategies. The International Society for the Social Studies Annual Conference Proceedings, Orlando, FL: Russell, W. (Ed.). The International Society for the Social Studies.