Professor of Education
Ludmila Smirnova is a Professor of Education at Mount Saint Mary College, Newburgh, N.Y., where she has taught for the past 15 years. At the Mount, she offers courses in Curricular Planning, Psychology of Learning, Methods of Teaching and Teaching with Technology. She has become increasingly recognized for her leadership in the application of emerging Internet technologies to education. She has run numerous workshops on the application of Smart Technologies and Web 2.0 tools to the college and primary/secondary classrooms. Prior to coming to the Mount, Dr. Smirnova was a Professor of Education at Volgograd State Pedagogical University, Russia, where she also served as Dean of the School of Foreign Languages. During her 25-year Russian career, Dr. Smirnova was known for her work in innovative approaches to teaching. Beyond the seventy publications based upon her work in Russia, Dr. Smirnova has written for and presented to a growing list of professional audiences in the U.S. and abroad. She is a co-designer and co-facilitator of the Moodle for Teachers workshops at IT4AL (Integrating Technology for Life-Long Learning). Professor Smirnova has been the counselor of the local chapter of Kappa Delta Pi, the International Honor Society in Education, for more than 15 years. The MSMC Sigma Tau chapter is nationally recognized; it has won an Achieving Chapter Excellence award several Biennials in a row, in 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017, and 2019.
Professor Smirnova is a certified Smart Board Trainer, a certified ThingLink and a certified VoiceThread Educator. She conducts training workshops at MSMC, nationally, and internationally.
She ran numerous workshops and presented at the AACE/EdMemia Conference for educators from all over the world since 2007.
The major topics she offers are:
- Teaching and Learning in a Live Virtual Classroom (with Moodle and WiZiQ)
- Creating an Effective Teaching/Learning Environment with Moodle 2.6
- "Facilitating Pedagogy of Engagement with Web 2.0 Technologies: Effective Course Design."
- "Going Double Digital: The Synergy of Pedagogy and Technology"
Doctor of Philosophy in the Theory and Practice of Education, Academy of Pedagogical Science, Moscow
Master's in Teaching Foreign Languages, Volgograd State Pedagogical University, Russia (English and German)
ED 2520 Methods of teaching science and Technology/Child
ED 3120 Methods of Teaching Social Studies/Child
ED 5534 Research in Methods of Teaching Science and Technology/Child
Specializations / Areas of Research Interest
Teaching with technology
Pedagogy of Engagement
Teaching and Learning online
Web 2.0/Emerging Technologies for Learning and Teaching
Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)/ edMedia - Member of the Executive Committee
International Society of Technology Education (ISTE)
National Council for Social Studies (NCSS)
National Science Teacher Association (NSTA)
Edutopia, George Lucas Educational Foundation
Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
Achievements and Awards
Dr. Smirnova has been elected to serve the Editorial Board for the Philology at MGIMO Journal in Moscow. She is a recipient of The Regional Chapter Counselor Award of Kappa Delta Pi, the International Honor Society in Education.
Dr. Smirnova is also a Correspondent Member of the International Academy of Pedagogical Science in Russia and the recipient of the Kappa Delta Pi O. L. Davis, Jr. Counselor of Distinction Award.
- Ludmila Smirnova, (2019) Digital Pedagogy: Unleashing a Transformation in Teaching. EdMedia + Innovate Learning 2019 (Jun 24, 2019)
- Lyudmila Smirnova, Veronica Malloy, Bojan Lazarevic (2018) There is More to Digital Learning than Counting on Your Fingers: Transforming Learning and Teaching with Digital Pedagogy. Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia Vol. 27, No. 2 (April 2018) pp. 231–244
- Lyudmila Smirnova (2016) Going Double Digital: The Synergy of Pedagogy and Technology. Workshop at the 2016 International Research Conference Innovation and Leadership in Education. Calgary, Canada, July 5-7, 2016
- Lyudmila Smirnova, Michael Edelstein, Nellie Deutsch (2016). Implementing MOOCs: Promise, Prospects and Lessons at EdMedia 2016 World Conference on Educational Media and Technology, June 28-30, 2016 Vancouver, Canada
- Ludmila Smirnova, Nellie Deutsch (2016) “Creating Authentic learning with Moodle” workshop at edMedia 2016 World Conference on Educational Media and Technology, June 28-30, 2016 Vancouver, Canada
- Smirnova, L., Deutsch, N., (2015) Engaging College Students in Global Interaction via Digital Media: Setting the Stage for the International Writing Exchange (IWE) Project. EdMedia: World Conference on Educational Media and Technology 2015 (Jun 22, 2015) pp. 802–805
- Smirnova, L., Deutsch, N. (2014) Addressing Contextual Adaptation in the Dissemination of Online Technologies: Using Moodle and WizIQ for Professional Development Training. World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia, and Telecommunications, Jun 23, 2014, Tampere, Finland ISBN 978-1-939797-08-7 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA, pp. 1205–1211
- Smirnova, L., Bordonaro, L. (2014) Exploring the Use of iPads for Engaged Learning in the Elementary Classroom: A Survey of Teachers. World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia, and Telecommunications, Jun 23, 2014, in Tampere, Finland ISBN 978-1-939797-08-7 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA, pp. 1789–1794 http://www.editlib.org/p/147720/
- Smirnova, L. & Ivushkina, T. (2013). Warming Global Relationships by Connecting International Classrooms. World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia, and Telecommunications, EdMedia, AACE (pp. 376-38).http://www.editlib.org/p/111984