Dean of the School of Nursing
Dr. LaRocco has been the Dean since June 2018. Prior to coming to the Mount, she was a Professor at Curry College in Milton MA where she held several administrative positions including chairperson in the School of Nursing. She is a Certified Nurse Educator (CNE). Prior to joining Curry College, she taught at several community colleges in Boston and at UMass Boston. Before becoming an educator, she held a variety of hospital based nursing administration positions in Massachusetts, New York, and Connecticut. Dr. LaRocco's major research interest is male nurses, in particular the recruitment and retention of men in nursing. She has been engaged in an oral history project, with more than 20 completed interviews of graduates of the Alexian Brothers Hospital School of Nursing, an all male school that closed in 1969. Dr LaRocco is active in the American Association for Men in Nursing and served on the Board from 2002 to 2006 and 2011 to 2013. She is also active in the American Association for the History of Nursing, currently serving on the Board of Directors. For several years she was the editor of the Massachusetts Report on Nursing, the official publication of the ANA Massachusetts.
During academic year 2014-15, Dr. LaRocco was a Fulbright Scholar at the University of Jordan (UJ) in Amman where she taught qualitative research and professional writing to doctoral students. She is co-investigator on two research projects that were completed in Jordan and has been the dissertation co-supervisor for a doctoral student at UJ. The findings from one of these studies, Jordanian Male Nurses’ Perception of Nursing as a Career, were presented at the Sigma Theta Tau International Research Conference in Melbourne Australia (July 2018).
Dr. LaRocco has also presented her work at conferences in Russia, England, Ireland and several international conferences held in the US.
Bachelor of Science, Boston College
Master of Science in Nursing Administration, Boston University
Master of Business Administration, New York Univeristy
PhD, University of Massachusetts Boston
Men in Nursing
Memberships and Affiliations
American Association for Men in Nursing
American Association for the History of Nursing
Fellow, National Academies of Practice
Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- 2017 Karyn and Terrance Holm Visiting Scholar Award
- 2015 University of Jordan Research Grant (with M. Saleh)
- 2015 University of Jordan Research Grant (with I. Khalaf and F. Abu-Moghli)
Awards and Recognition
- 2016 Excellence in Research Award – Curry College
- 2016 President’s Award – American Nurses Association Massachusetts
- 2014 Distinguished Fellow in the National Academies of Practice/Distinguished Practitioner & Fellow in the Nursing Academy
- 2012 Participant – Edmond J Safra Visiting Nurse Faculty Program
- 2010 Alumni Award for Service to the College of Nursing and Health Sciences – University of Massachusetts Boston
- 2010 Mary Ann Garrigan Award – Theta at-Large Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International
- 2009 Boston Globe 7th Annual Salute to Nurses
- 2007 Boston Globe 5th Annual Salute to Nurses
- 2007 Researcher of the Year – Curry College
- 2006 Member of the Year – American Assembly for Men in Nursing
- 2004 Academic Achievement Award – University of Massachusetts Boston
Last five years
- Toronto, C. & LaRocco, S. (in press). Family perception of and experience with family presence during cardiopulmonary resuscitation: An integrative review. Journal of Clinical Nursing.
- Khalaf, I. A., Abu-Moghli, F. A., LaRocco, S. A. & Al-Maharma, D. Y. (2017) Jordanian nurses’ perception and interventions related to promoting smoking cessation. Journal of Clinical Nursing. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.13929
- LaRocco, S. A. (2017). Reflective practice as a tool for questioning authority. Creative Nursing, 23 (2), 70-75.
- LaRocco, S. A. (2015). Letters from Jordan: Teaching at the University of Jordan. American Journal of Nursing, 115(11), 47-49.
- LaRocco, S. A. (2015). Letters from Jordan: Life in Amman. American Journal of Nursing, 115(9), 57-59.
- LaRocco, S. A. (2015). Letters from Jordan: Teaching in the Middle East. American Journal of Nursing, 115(7), 61-63.
- LaRocco, S. A. (2015). Looking back: Men as nurse anesthetists. American Journal of Nursing, 115(10), 68-69.
- LaRocco, S. A. (2015). Unmasking nonmotor symptoms of Parkinson disease. Nursing 2015, 45(7), 26-32.
- Nugent, E. & LaRocco, S. A. (2014). Comprehensive review of an accelerated nursing program: A quality improvement project. Dimensions of Critical Care Nursing, 33(4), 226-233.
- LaRocco, S. A. (2014). Viewpoint: Where are the visionary leaders of 1965? American Journal of Nursing, 114 (4), 11.