There's no way to sugarcoat this: It's an...interesting...time to be applying for college.
If you're a high school senior, you may be wondering, is it even worth it to apply to college this year? We might be a little biased, but we still think it is, and here's why.
- You don't have to compromise your college experience. The Mount has succeeded in bringing students back to campus, and thanks to their selflessness and care for others, we've been able to keep our Covid rate at zero. Yes, it may not be the typical college experience we'd love to give you, but students are still on campus, enjoying classes and activities and making memories - all while staying safe.
- Tests are optional. If the SAT/ACT is what's holding you back, you'll be happy to know that the Mount is now test optional, which means that for those entering in the Fall of 2021, we're not requiring SAT/ACT scores for admittance. This pandemic has us all worried about enough; don't add studying for standardized testing to the list!
- Visiting is still possible. And no, we're not just talking about virtual visits, but actual, real life visits. You can follow a self-guided driving through tour of campus (no need to even leave your car!) and limited capacity daily walking tours of campus. Of course we have virtual options too if that's more your style, but you don't have to be limited to yet another Zoom call just to find out if the Mount is right for you.
- What else is there to do? Pardon our bluntness, but seriously...what else is there to do all day during a pandemic? You may as well get started on your education now so that when this is all over (and it will be over, someday, even though it doesn't feel like it right now), you are prepared for your future. You know, like 93% of the Mount Class of 2019 was, when they had jobs six months after graduation.
- Take a chance on yourself. No matter what form it takes, college teaches you so many things about yourself. We can't predict what 2021 will look like, but any type of schooling offers not just knowledge about the world, but also about yourself. We think applying to college is worth it, because you're worth it!
So what are you waiting for? Let's get applying!