Mount Saint Mary College seeks an innovative, dynamic, and self-motivated individual to join a collaborative and collegial team of library faculty and support staff committed to the continuous improvement of library resources and services. Position reports to the Director of the Library.
Assistant Librarian for Access and Outreach Services
Leads a staff of three in the delivery of front-line library services: circulation, interlibrary loan, course reserves, stacks maintenance, and student staff management. Sets policy for, implements innovations in, and assesses the quality and effectiveness of all access services areas. Mediates difficult circulation problems with library users. Develops and maintains web pages that support access services. Develops the library schedule throughout the year.
As liaison to designated academic programs, teaches information literacy sessions, selects library materials, and conducts research consultations within these disciplines. Serves as instruction team member in First Year Experience program. Provides general reference service.
Promotes and publicizes library resources, services, and events through the library web page, social media, digital signage, email, and print. Creates marketing materials independently and in conjunction with the MSMC Marketing Department. Collaborates with faculty and staff across campus and within the library to plan and carry out diverse events relevant to MSMC academic programs. Coordinates the library’s overall web site and social media efforts, as well as its digital signage and room reservations systems. Conducts website usability testing.
Collaborates with Residence Life on educational and cultural programming. Works with Admissions, as primary library contact, for open house, library tours, and student/parent orientations. Responsible for exhibits and displays within the library.
- Master’s degree in library/information science from an ALA-accredited program.
- Knowledge of access services functions.
- Experience teaching information literacy skills and familiarity with the ACRL information literacy framework.
- Demonstrated proficiency with desktop publishing/graphics software (minimally MS Publisher) to create marketing materials.
- Experience in creating or maintaining web site content.
- Demonstrated public relations and promotional ability.
- Personable and outgoing demeanor, a “people person,” able to establish a quick rapport with students and faculty.
- Familiarity with emerging technologies and trends in higher education.
- Strong technology skills and the ability to adapt to changing technological environments.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with library faculty and support staff, as well as the greater campus community, and to show initiative in fulfilling responsibilities.
- Effective organizational and project management skills.
- Flexibility in covering reference desk and instruction schedules.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of the III Sierra integrated library system.
- Experience in providing academic reference service.
- Knowledge of website usability testing.
- Experience in developing a social media presence for professional purposes
- Knowledge of collection development tools, techniques, and strategies.
This is a 12-month, tenure-track position. To earn promotion and tenure, library faculty must meet performance expectations for teaching effectiveness, research and scholarship, and service to college and community. Competitive benefits package including four weeks’ vacation and MSMC tuition benefits. Salary commensurate with experience.
Kaplan Family Library and Learning Center at Mount Saint Mary College
The Kaplan Family Library and Learning Center is a user-centered organization of six librarians and seven support staff whose focus is connecting students and faculty with information and ideas. Teaching and personal service are central to the library mission, along with a commitment to student learning and success. Kaplan Library boasts a beautifully designed space that offers convenient access to collections along with a wide variety of workspace options. Read the library mission statement.
Mount Saint Mary College is an independent liberal arts institution with a rich Catholic Dominican tradition. Located in the scenic Hudson Valley, about 60 miles north of New York City, the campus occupies a beautiful spot overlooking the Hudson River. The college enrolls approximately 2,200 full- and part-time undergraduate and graduate students and offers bachelor and master degree programs in nursing, business, education, social services, communication and media, the liberal arts, and more. Read more about the college.
MSMC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and is committed to a diverse campus community.
Please submit a letter of application, a resume or curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for at least three professional references via the MSMC Online Application System. Include in your letter a brief statement of your philosophy of academic librarianship, referring to the areas of specialization required in this position.
Review begins immediately and will continue until position is filled.