When was the last time you took the time to do something for yourself?
If it took you a minute to think about it, then it is safe to say that it has been a while since you have.
I know how much you can get lost in work, school, assignments, and a million other things that go on in your life. It’s hard, life is hard. Some days we have too much on our plate, some days we want to give up, and some days we just want to curl in a ball and be left alone.
Can you relate? Yes. We all can. It is okay to feel that way. It is okay to not be okay. But it is NOT okay to neglect time taken to take CARE of yourself. Your relationship with yourself is the most important relationship you can have, so why do we not put in as much effort as any other? Self care comes in many different shapes and forms. Here are some tips and activities you can do by yourself, for yourself:
- Write yourself compliments on a sticky note and place them somewhere you will see everyday
- Lay out at night and take in the beauty of the sky
- Turn your phone off for an hour
- Dance to your favorite songs
- 10 minutes of yoga/stretching
- Focus on your breathing
- Go for a walk/run
- Treat yourself to your favorite food
- Have a spa day: long shower, face masks, relax in your towel/robe
- Take a nap
- Laugh with friends
- Write your thoughts and feelings down in a journal
- Take yourself on a date
- Read a book
- Binge watch your favorite show
- Light a candle
- Sing at the top of your lungs
- Sleep in
- Take a mental health day
With little steps towards doing things for YOU, you can alleviate the stress and worries from everyday life gradually. It is important to learn yourself, know yourself, and take care of yourself.
Why? Because YOU matter.
Again, life is hard. But we can enjoy it. Don’t let the negative overpower the positive.
Live life, be happy. But first, take care of yourself.
When will you start?