Serving those who serve us

At Mount Saint Mary College, we can never fully express our gratitude to those who are or have served our country in the military. You’ve already sparked so much change and freedom in our world; now let us serve you in return.

We are proud to welcome veterans as first-year, transfer/degree completion, and graduate students here at the Mount. You will go through the same admissions process as everyone else, but you are also eligible for additional resources:

Yellow Ribbon School

The Mount is proud to be a Yellow Ribbon school, meaning veterans are able to achieve higher education at little to no out-of-pocket cost. Eligibility is dependent on your status as a service member as well as the number of students we have currently utilizing Yellow Ribbon benefits. More information on the Yellow Ribbon program can be found here.

Tuition Discount

Military members, veterans, and their families are eligible for a tuition discount as well, ranging from 25-50% off depending on the degree level. Current military tuition rates can be found here, but please contact the Office of Financial Aid for more details and an evaluation of costs based on your unique situation.

Apply for Free

Military members and veterans can apply to the Mount for free. Apply today and speak to a counselor about your goals with no financial obligation. Please email us at to receive a fee waiver code.

Eligible Service Members must receive approval from an Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within the Military Service prior to enrolling.

Why attend the Mount as a military student?

Besides our Yellow Ribbon eligibility and tuition discount for military members, the Mount is a great option for military members and veterans.

  • Resources: From our Writing Center and Career Center to Counseling and Disability Services, we have our team of student support personnel ready to help you succeed. We also have a dedicated Registrar official to help you with coordinating VA benefits.
  • Service focus: As a service-oriented school, we place a great emphasis on helping others. Given your background, we think you’ll like that about us.
  • Military-centered: Want to have the full student experience? We have opportunities for military student housing (must be single) and even a student-centered military club, Operation Students Supporting Military.

GI Bill® and Tuition Assistance

The Mount accepts military branch tuition assistance programs for active duty, veterans, spouses, and family members; Post 9-11 GI bill® for veterans, spouses, and family members; REAP; VEAP; and Veteran Readiness and Employment programs for Chapter 31 veterans. Please contact our Office of Financial Aid for more assistance with applying these benefits to your tuition. 

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Active-Duty Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is a distinct source of financial aid offered by the federal government that may be available to eligible service members. Each service branch administrates award amounts, eligibility, restrictions, and application process. 

Applying for tuition assistance

The general process for requesting Tuition Assistance is the same for all branches of the military, however, each military branch uses a different educational portal, which you can find additional information on TA. It’s also important to check with your military branch to understand the time frame in which you can request your TA. For questions regarding TA eligibility or the process for applying for TA, speak with your Educational Services Office or counselor within your specific military branch. 

Additional information on utilizing Military Tuition Assistance, including links to each military branch, can be found online at Military Tuition Assistance |

To apply: 

  1. Eligible Service members must receive approval from an Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within the Military Service prior to enrolling. Speak with your ESO when you have been accepted to MSMC, prior to enrolling in courses. 
  2. Follow your ESO or counselor's instructions for how to request TA for your course(s). Complete your TA request online through your military branch's educational portal.
    1. You may be required to submit an educational degree plan, which you can get from your academic advisor.
    2. Veterans are responsible for ensuring that all requirements for admission to their VA-approved MSMC academic program have been met. To ensure this, veterans can contact their Admissions counselor.
    3. If you are required to provide a cost verification as part of your application, you can print your charges from your student account on
    4. Select Mount Saint Mary College as your academic institution. 

When your application has been approved:

  1. After your TA funding is approved by your military branch, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) Letter.
  2. Submit copies of the COE letter to
  3. The MSMC Veteran Certifying Official will send an electronic enrollment certification to the Department of Veteran Affairs once a student's forms have been received and enrollment into courses at MSMC has been confirmed.
  4. Students receive confirmation from the VA once an enrollment certification is processed or any adjustments are made to their certification.

Service members identified as eligible Department of Defense Tuition Assistance (TA) recipients will have their TA benefits applied to their account prior to the application of their federal Pell Grant funds to their account. To receive a federal Pell Grant, students must apply for federal financial aid and meet Pell eligibility requirements. 

If a student drops a course(s) covered by TA funds during the 100% tuition refund period, all TA funds will be returned to the appropriate military service branch. After the full refund period, if a student with TA funding withdraws from a course(s) within a term, MSMC will be required to return a portion of the TA funds to the appropriate military service branch based on when the student ceases attendance. Per Department of Defense policy, when a student ceases attendance in a term, TA funds must be retuned on a proportional basis up to the 60 percent point in the term. 

Click here if you would like to learn more information about the returns of unearned TA.

Apply for federal financial aid

Military members, veterans, and their benefit-eligible dependents can also use federal financial aid to finance their education. All students should fill out the FAFSA each year at While you’re there, visit to learn more about funds that may be available to you. View their list of scholarships for military families at

Apply for state aid

Are you a New York State resident? Make sure you also apply for a NYS TAP award after you have submitted the FAFSA. The link to apply will pop up when you complete your FAFSA, or you can visit if you missed it. While you are there, check out for information about NYS aid for military students. More information about NYS military education benefits may be found at  

Mount Saint Mary College employees, as well as outside agencies contracted to work on behalf of Mount Saint Mary College, shall be instructed to refrain from high-pressure recruitment tactics to secure enrollments of service members as defined by DoD MOU, paragraph 3.j.(3).