Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Master of Business Administration
To make your mark on the world, you’ll need a higher level degree in business to support your goals. A master’s degree in Business Administration (MBA) teaches you the managerial and leadership skills you need to be successful in business. Whatever industry you wish to make a difference in - fashion, sports, finance, real estate, education - an MBA gives you the training you need to be a leader.
Why get your MBA?
Here’s what makes the Mount’s MBA program unique:
- We’ve got connections: In business, it’s all about who you know. You’ll start by knowing your professors really well, thanks to our small class sizes, and you’ll learn from their real world experience (they’re professionals in the field as well as educators). Then, you’ll get to know our incredible Hudson Valley business community who are ready to help you succeed with connections that are invaluable for your future.
- Location, location, location: The Hudson Valley has a booming business industry right here at home, but if you’re looking for more of that big city exposure, just hop on the train to New York City, Albany, Philadelphia, or Boston. With a train station, an international airport, and several highways just a few miles from campus, the world awaits you.
- Service focus: You’re different than your peers. You recognize that success isn’t all about you, and you find yourself wanting to make a difference with your skills. That’s why going to Business school at a service-oriented college makes all the difference. Here, we teach you business not just for your own gain, but for the world’s.
- Flexible around you: The Mount’s MBA program revolves around you. Need to take classes at night after work or online? No problem. Want to center your research project on a business you want to start? Go for it. From our booming Healthcare Management MBA to flexible class scheduling and entry points every 8 weeks, our MBA program is all about you.
The Mount’s MBA program is accredited by the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE). Learn more about our accreditation here.
Are you a Mount graduate? Don’t forget, Mount alumni receive 25% off of graduate tuition!
What to expect as an MBA student
Learn about MBA academic requirements and courses here.
The number of credits you will have to take as an MBA student will depend on your undergraduate major as well as work experience. Prior to beginning the program, you will meet with our graduate Business advisor or the program coordinator to discuss your personal path to degree completion.
Our graduate courses run on 8-week sessions instead of 15-week semesters, with six session start dates per academic year. We typically recommend that students take two courses per session, but you can take one course instead if that better fits your schedule. The majority of our students (70%) complete the MBA program within three years, but the time it will take for you to complete the program may be more or less depending on your prerequisite requirements and how many credits you wish to take each year. Some students are even able to complete the program in a year, so your course schedule will be adjusted based on your unique experiences and goals.
You’ll begin your studies with a focus on management, particularly communication strategies for managers. Your subsequent courses will bolster your finance, operations, ethics, production, marketing, and communication skills. Depending on the credits needed, you may also have elective opportunities, where you choose to expand your studies in subjects like international trade, human resources, entrepreneurship, law, and more. Finally, you’ll conclude your time in the program with a capstone course on a research project of your choice with an optional thesis.
You’ll notice that our Business school is a little bit different. Our professors aren’t just educators; they’re also award-winning professionals in the fields in which they teach. They bring their contacts and former colleagues in as guest speakers so that you find out what you actually need to know to be successful in business, not just theory. And you’ll have the opportunity to use your skills to make a difference from day 1 by working with nonprofits and small businesses as case studies or volunteering as a tax preparer for AARP. At the Mount, our business is helping others.
Be prepared for your future
With an MBA, you’ll be prepared to take on a variety of leadership and managerial roles in an assortment of business settings.
Here’s how some of our MBA alumni are using their degrees:
- Tyler Tumminia '00, MBA '09, Commissioner of the National Women's Hockey League
- Mark Wicher MBA ’00 Chief, Cadet Services Division at West Point
- Mark Cozzupoli MBA ’07, Director of Veteran Services of Ulster County
- Angela Wise ’13 MBA ’16, Executive Director of HR, Data, and School Counseling at Pine Bush Central School District
- Matthew Tindall MBA ’17, Director of School Safety and Security at Newburgh Enlarged City School District
- Laci Johnson MBA ’18, Director of Marketing at Axis Insurance Services, LLC