Security & Safety
We’re here to keep you safe.
With 24/7 patrol and numerous safety services implemented around campus, it is our honor to protect the safety and security of the entire Mount community.
What sets us apart is our officers. The camaraderie and friendship they share with our students is truly unique. Our students come to trust that our officers are there not only to keep them safe, but also to support them, cheer them on, and ask about their day.
Security phone number: 845-569-3200
Security and Safety services
- 24/7: Day and night, 365 days a year, we’re patrolling campus and keeping watch to ensure our community is safe. We also have an officer in the welcome booth at the entrance of campus 24/7 to monitor incoming traffic.
- Blue light system: Have an emergency? Just press the button on one of our 23 blue lights placed strategically around campus to get in contact with an officer.
- Freshman security: Each freshman residence hall has a security desk at the front door, where students need to swipe in before entering.
- Lockouts: Get locked out of your room? Security can help you gain reentry.
- Emergency transport: In the event of an emergency, our officers will bring you to St. Luke’s Hospital for care or arrange for an ambulance.
- Campus escort: If you have a long or short-term disability or feel unsafe at any time, one of our officers can drive you across campus to where you need to go.
- Crime prevention and incident investigation: We hold awareness programs on campus regularly and investigate any incidents on campus in conjunction with the local police if necessary.
- Emergency preparedness: Regular safety drills allow us to be trained and prepared in the event of an emergency.
- Safety programming: We provide educational programming to keep students safe on and off campus.
MSMC Alert is the emergency notification system for students, faculty, and staff at Mount Saint Mary College. MSMC Alert will be used to notify students of campus emergencies and closings, but they must enroll in order to receive the notifications. Current students can enroll here.
The Office of Security and Safety oversees parking on campus and does ticket those who do not park in the correct spaces. A campus parking map, with spots delineated for residents, commuters, and employees, can be found here.
Parking on campus is free, but you must have a parking permit in order to do so. Parking permits can be requested here. If you are a guest of the college, please stop at our welcome booth at the entrance of campus, and an officer will direct you where to park.
If you receive a parking ticket that you feel should be reconsidered, you may submit a parking ticket appeal here.
Is the area safe?
This is one of the top questions we hear from prospective families. We are proud to be part of the incredible Newburgh community! While we certainly encourage our students to exercise caution and travel in groups no matter where they go, the Mount’s campus and surroundings are very safe. We have a strong partnership with the Newburgh Police Department, and we encourage our students to get involved in the Newburgh community.
Meet the Security & Safety Team
Additionally, we also employ several dozen officers who work hard every day to keep us safe and secure!