Advertising and Public Relations
Bachelor of Arts in Advertising and Public Relations
One of the greatest responsibilities today is communicating important messages to others, and technology has made that a global responsibility. Maybe you've been creating fake commercials since you were 5 and run an influencer account on Instagram or YouTube, or maybe you’re just discovering your voice. Come learn the techniques of making your messages, events, and communications stand out and effect change.
Why be an Advertising and Public Relations major?
Here’s what makes the Mount’s Advertising and Public Relations major unique:
- Experience focused on you: No matter what industry you plan to dominate, you cannot do so if your core audience does not know you exist. From Fortune 500 companies to small businesses to not-for-profits, all organizations benefit from strong marketing communication. As the basis of outward-facing communications, advertising and public relations are used to develop an organization or brand’s personality, and develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders. Each advertising and public relations course provides students with the opportunity to apply attained knowledge though projects.
- Design your degree: Students in advertising and public relations often envision different career trajectories. Some may be more attracted to advertising, while others may find public relations or working in social media more appealing. The Advertising and Public Relations program has six required courses and seven major electives. This allows you to select more than half of the credits towards your major based on your interests.
- Caring faculty: Unlike other institutions, no Advertising or Public Relations course at MSMC is taught by a graduate assistant. This means you’ll get to know your professors really well. They not only know students’ names, but also their goals, interests, and career aspirations — and work hard to help them spark something amazing.
What to expect as an Advertising and Public Relations major
39 credits in Advertising and Public Relations | Maintain GPA of 2.0+
Learn about Advertising and Public Relations major and minor academic requirements and courses here.
Your Advertising and Public Relations classes will help you develop skills in writing, critical thinking and listening, public speaking, and communication. You'll practice your skills in real world situations and even put them to good use in the service of others. Plus, the work you do in each class can be collected into a portfolio for prospective employers, showcasing your skills and experience. Finally, you'll round out your coursework with a senior thesis project of your choice, demonstrating the skills you have achieved in an area you’re passionate about.
Many of our students also choose to double major in a related field like Journalism or English to further increase their marketability to employers.
Be prepared for your future
As an Advertising and Public Relations major, your career will begin with an internship to help you build your portfolio and gain additional skills. In the past, Mount Advertising and Public Relations majors have interned at places like JetBlue, the American Cancer Society, Habitat for Humanity, Polo Ralph Lauren, and MTV, but our Career Center can help you find an internship that is the perfect fit for you.
After graduation, our Advertising and Public Relations majors are ready to make their mark on the world as event planners, communications specialists for corporations or nonprofits, marketing managers, fundraising coordinators, advertising coordinators, public relations liaisons and spokespeople, and more.
Here's how some of our Advertising and Public Relations alumni are using their degrees:
- Tyler Tumminia '00, MBA '09, Commissioner of the National Women's Hockey League
- Andy Checo ‘00, Associate Vice President at Havas Formula and the President of the Hispanic Public Relations Association
- Nicole Allen ’16, Senior PR Coordinator at Lafayette 148 New York
- Briana Podlovits ’16, Marketing Coordinator for the Diocese of Brooklyn
- Clare O’Keefe ’17, Senior Account Executive at LAZAR, a Finn Partners Company