Technology and Digital Media
Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies
A degree in Interdisciplinary Studies with concentrations in Information Technology and Digital Media Production is the best of both worlds. If you’re a creative person with a desire to utilize your analytical side, check out this major.
Why study Technology and Digital Media?
Here’s what makes the Mount’s Technology and Digital Media program unique:
- Best of both: This unique program combines our Division of Arts & Letters and Mathematics & Information Technology, so you’ll benefit from the faculty and offerings of each. Plus, you’ll have an advisor from each program helping you stay on track.
- Left and right brain: Who said technology can’t be creative (or that creativity isn’t strategic)? Flex your creative and analytical sides in a unique pairing that is intriguing to employers looking for both candidates with a variety of skills.
- Storytelling from all angles: As a Technology and Digital Media student, you’ll have the ability to think about a story from multiple angles and see it through from creation to implementation to delivery!
What to expect as a Technology and Digital Media student
48 credits in Digital Media Production and Information Technology (combined)
Learn about Interdisciplinary Studies major academic requirements and courses here.
As a Technology and Digital Media major, you'll take courses in both Digital Media Production and Information Technology, ranging from hardware and software, networking, and digital imaging to film, nonlinear editing, interactive web design, and digital illustration.
Throughout the course of your studies, you'll take 48 credits of digital media and technology courses, including a required internship in a field related to your career aspirations. You'll also have the opportunity to gain real world experience through Mount Media, an on-campus creative agency that works on productions for nonprofits and other Hudson Valley organizations, and the Byte Knights IT club.
Finally, you’ll complete a capstone project from either the Production or Technology side of your major, allowing you to utilize all of the skills you’ve developed to put towards a project that matters to you.
Be prepared for your future
As a Technology and Digital Media major, your career possibilities will be practically endless! In our increasingly digital world, more and more organizations are searching for job candidates who offer digital design and production skills or technological know-how. To have both of those combined makes you even more marketable in this already sought-after field.
Many Mount Technology and Digital Media majors go into the fields of filmmaking, photography, web design and development, media, marketing, instructional design, and more. However, you can also apply your skills creatively in administration in healthcare, schools, government, and more.
Here’s how some of our alumni are using their degrees:
- Ryan O’Donnell ’15, PC & Telecommunications Technician at Cody Regional Health
- Mary Alexis ’15, Marketing Director at Le Chambord at Curry Estate
- Ryan Demers ’16, Risk Assurance Experienced Associate at PwC