Concentration in Marketing
Marketing is all about telling the world about products and services. It’s a diverse field that allows you to use your communication, critical thinking, analysis, and creative skills in order to influence decision making and make a difference.
Every industry needs marketing, so pick your passion, and we’ll help you tell the world about it!
Why study Marketing?
Here's what makes the Mount's Marketing program unique:
- Business background: Meshing practical business skills and innovative creativity allows our Marketing students to be successful. That’s why our Marketing concentration is part of the major in Business.
- Marketing FUNdamentals: There’s no other way to describe our Marketing professors and students except fun! Just try walking by one of Professor Scardillo’s classes without being struck by his infectious energy and enthusiasm about marketing. We think you’ll find yourself becoming just as enthusiastic about it too.
- Location, location, location: From small businesses in the Hudson Valley to large corporations in New York City, our Marketing students don’t just learn about skills from a textbook: they get to experience them firsthand.
The Mount’s Accounting and Business programs are accredited by the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE). Learn more about our accreditation here.
What to expect as a Marketing student
15 credits in Marketing
Learn about Business major academic requirements and courses here.
Paired with the Business courses for your major, the Marketing concentration will teach you how to build and develop strategic relationships, encourage critical and creative thinking, and provide opportunities to foster leadership skills.
The Mount’s rapport with the local business community will come in handy too. Many of our Marketing classes involve creating marketing plans, but not for some made-up company. You’ll get to practice these skills by consulting with local nonprofits or small businesses on their needs and coming up with innovation solutions to present to them.
Finally, you’ll round out your experience with a research class that will allow you to put into practice what you’ve learned in an area about which you’re passionate.
Be prepared for your future
Internships are a great opportunity to gain real world experience in the field. Past Marketing students have interned at organizations such as ABC, Bethel Woods, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Orange County, Interact Marketing, Safe Harbors of the Hudson, and more to further grow their skills.
What can you do with a marketing degree? Many of our alumni end up applying their skills in digital marketing coordination, social media management, marketing research, sales, and other business-oriented positions at corporate, non-profit, and government entities. Graduates of the 5-year BS/MBA program are additionally qualified for leadership positions in these organizations.
Here's how some of our Marketing alumni are using their degrees:
- Michael Noonan ’09 MBA ’11, Senior Customer Success Engineer at Oracle
- Colleen Ryan ’12, Community Manager for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer with the American Cancer Society
- Kristen Detheridge ’15, Communications and Marketing Coordinator for Fearless! Hudson Valley, Inc.
- Amanda Clemens ’16 MBA ’17, Integrated Sales Planner at NBCUniversal Media, LLC
- Stefania Riccitelli ’16 MBA ’18, Digital Marketing Coordinator at Rhinebeck Bank and Founder of SNR Marketing, LLC
- Tyler Mannix '19, Digital Marketing Coordinator for HAI Group