With the beginning of the semester quickly approaching, it can be hard to decide what’s the first thing you should do once you get to campus. While attending classes and unpacking your dorm room are top priorities, there are so many other opportunities right on campus! Here are a few ways you can make the most of your first week at the Mount.
- Attend the Club Fair. One of the best ways to get better acclimated to campus is by stopping by the club fair. Here, you’ll be able to meet representatives from the various clubs and student activities on campus. You’ll not only receive more information about what these clubs and activities have to offer, you’ll also be able to join their mailing lists so you can get updated information about their meetings and events throughout the year! Getting involved in student activities isn’t just about trying new things; it’s also a great way to meet people with similar interests on campus.
- Get to know the offices on campus. It’s never too early to familiarize yourself with the various offices across campus, so why not become familiar with them at the start of the year? From the Office of Student Success and Writing Center to Health Services and Campus Ministry, it’s important that you know where to find each office should you need something. Plus, you can get to know some of the people who work in these departments. The Mount is such a tight-knit community that it’s easy to get to know everyone by name – even the staff!
- Try a new food. Did you know there are four places to grab a bite to eat on campus? With varying food options in each location, you’re bound to find a food you’ve never tried before! There may be a lot of new and exciting things to try in The View dining hall, but there are also a variety of comfort foods available at smaller dining venues across campus. From everyone’s favorite Mac Bites at Henry’s to a classic bacon, egg, and cheese at the DC Café, your new favorite comfort food is just a short walk across campus.
- Meet with your faculty advisor. Throughout your college career at the Mount, you’re going to be visiting your academic advisor for everything regarding your major. From making your schedule each semester to asking questions about courses and internships, your advisor will be there to help you every step of the way in making sure you’re achieving your goals and on the right track for graduation. Before the semester gets too busy, introduce yourself to them and let them know what your plans and goals are for your college experience and after.
- Explore campus. You may feel like you have a good grasp on where everything is on campus, but there are so many places left to discover. The best place to study on campus and the perfect spot to relax outdoors sometimes aren’t the easiest spots to find right away – but it’s never too early to start searching for them. The Mount has so many exciting places to explore, so don’t be afraid to share some of your favorite spots with others on campus – especially if it has an amazing view.